The right foods can help your body prepare and recover from workouts. Try adding these tips to your workout routine.
Pre-workout Tips to Optimize Energy and Enhance Performance
- If you plan to work out and it’s been over 3 hours since your last meal, have a small carbohydrate-rich snack low in fibre, fat and protein to ensure optimal digestion.
- Iron is critical for helping the body use and carry oxygen to active muscles. Maintain your intake with foods like meat and poultry, along with meat alternatives such as black beans, lentils, tofu, walnuts, and sunflower seeds.
- Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of energy. Choose complex carbs like whole grains, fruit, legumes and dairy.
- Healthy fats provide the body with a long-lasting source of fuel. Try avocados, nuts and seeds, extra virgin olive oil, chia and fatty fish.
Post-workout Tips to Speed Recovery:
- To promote recovery, fuel your body with a source of carbohydrate and protein within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.
- Keep post-workout snacks within reach such as apple chips and nuts in mason jars or mini tuna cans and whole grain crackers.
- Prepare a replenishing smoothie with ¾ cup Greek yogurt, 1 banana, ½ cup frozen fruit and 1 cup of milk or milk alternative.
- Rehydrating is crucial. The darker your urine is, the more dehydrated you are. Drink sufficient fluids until your urine is pale yellow.